The Best Lamb Tagine
This delicious tagine of lamb with apricots will take you to slow-cooked perfection in five easy steps – just kick back with a glass of wine until it is ready!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 45 minutes
2 tbsp vegetable oil
800g/ 1lb 12 oz lamb shoulder, cubed
1 onion, peeled & sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground ginger
450ml/15 fl oz lamb stock
400g/1 lb dried apricots
1 x 400g/14 oz tin of chopped tomatoes
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1 x 400g/14 oz tin of chick peas, drained
1 small bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 small bunch of fresh mint, chopped
1 handful of flaked almonds
400g/14 oz cous cous, cooked as per packet instructions
6 tbsp Greek yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/Gas mark 2.
2. Heat the oil in a large tagine or frying pan, add the lamb in batches for 3-4 minutes or until browned all over and set aside.
3. Add the onion to the tagine or frying pan and fry slowly for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Now add the garlic and spices and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Return the lamb and coat with the spices then add the stock, apricots, tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to the boil and place in an oven proof tagine or casserole. Cover with the lid and cook for 2 hours. Stir in the chick peas and cook for a further 30 minutes.
5. To serve, spinkle over the parsley, mint and flakes almonds. Serve with the cous cous and Greek yogurt.