Courgette, Feta & Mint Fritters
This is a very tasty light starter or can be part of a meze spread. You can prepare this dish in advance and reheat in a low oven when ready to serve.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 courgettes (about 500g)
Sea salt & pepper
2 tbsp light olive oil, plus extra to fry
1 onion, peeled & finely sliced
200g/7oz feta, diced
1 small handful of fresh mint, chopped
2 tbsp pine nuts
3-4 tbsp plain flour
Flat leaf parsley, sprigs
1. Trim the courgettes and grate them over a colander placed over a bowl, add a good pinch of salt. Mix through and let stand for 15 minutes – this will draw out the excess water. Squeeze the remainder of the juices out with your hands then place the courgettes into a large bowl.
2. In a frying pan heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and gently fry the onions with a good pinch of salt & pepper for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Leave to cool and then add to the courgettes and mix through.
3. Now add the eggs, feta, mint, pine nuts, flour and a good grinding of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined. If the mixture is too wet add more flour.
4. In a large frying pan heat a thin layer of oil, make sure the oil is hot enough to fry. Drop several spoonfuls of batter into the pan, making sure they are spread apart. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a warm plate and keep warm whilst you cook the rest.
5. Serve the courgette fritters warm with lemon wedges and parsley.