Beef Pad Thai
A delicious fresh dish that showcases the classic Thai harmony of sweet, sour and spice!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
200g/7oz flat rice noodles
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp tamarind sauce
1 tbsp chilli sauce
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 shallot, peeled & finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled & finely sliced
2 red chillies, deseeded & sliced
250g/8 ½ oz beef, rump or sirloin steak, finely sliced
2 eggs, beaten
100g/3 ½ oz beansprouts
2 spring onions, trimmed & sliced into finger sized lengths
1 lime, juice only
1 tbsp palm sugar
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
8 tbsp roasted peanuts
4 lime wedges
1. Cook the rice noodles as per packet instructions and set aside.
2. In a small bowl combine the caster sugar, fish sauce, tamarind paste and chilli sauce, set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok, add the shallot, garlic and chilli, stir fry over a medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the beef and stir fry for one minute, remove and set aside with a slotted spoon.
4. Add the noodles to the wok with the sauce and a little splash of water, stir fry for a few minutes. Push the noodles to one side of the wok and add a little oil to the other side of the wok. Pour in the egg, scramble lightly and then fold through the noodles.
5. Return the beef to the wok with the beansproats and spring onions. Stir through the lime juice, palm sugar and soy sauces.
6. To serve, divide the pad Thai between 4 warm serving dishes and sprinkle over the peanuts. Serve with a wedge of lime, enjoy!