Mushroom, Leek and Spinach Risotto
A full flavoured risotto - add your favourite mushrooms and extra chilli flakes for an extra kick!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
For the Risotto
1.1 litres/2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 knob of butter
1 leek, finely sliced
½ - 1 tsp chilli flakes
150g/6 oz mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
400g/14 oz risotto rice
2 glasses of dry white wine
150g/6 oz spinach, roughly chopped
Freshly ground salt & pepper
70g/2 ½ oz butter
115g/4oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. To make the risotto, heat the stock in a pan. Put the olive oil and butter into another pan and leek and chilli flakes, fry on a low heat until softened.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2-3 minutes and then add the rice and turn up the heat.
3. When the rice is slightly translucent add the wine and keep stirring until it has cooked into the rice.
4. Add the first ladle of stock and reduce the heat to a simmer. Keep adding the ladlefuls of stock gradually allowing each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. This should take around 15 minutes. Season to taste.
5. Remove from the heat and add the spinach, butter and parmesan, stir well. Place the lid on the pan and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
6. Serve the risotto in a serving bowl, enjoy!