Pink Champagne Jelly
A perfect dessert after a heavy meal – delicious, light and low in fat!
Prep time: 5 hours
Cooking time: 10 minutes
300ml/10fl oz hot water
55g/2 oz caster sugar
500ml/16fl oz pink champagne or rose sparkling wine
4 leaves of gelatine
150g/5oz raspberries or fruit of your choice
1. Put the water and sugar into a small saucepan and place over a medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, simmer for five minutes, then remove the pan.
2. Pour the sparkling wine into a large heatproof bowl and add the gelatine. Set aside for about five minutes, or until the leaves are soft and squidgy. Take out the leaves, squeeze off as much liquid as possible, and add them to the sugar syrup.
3. Whisk furiously until the gelatine has completely dissolved, then pour the syrup back into the bowl with the sparkling wine and whisk to combine. Allow to cool thoroughly, then refrigerate the jelly for about one hour.
4. As soon as it starts to thicken, stir in the raspberries or other fruit. Divide the jelly between six glasses and cover them with cling film.
5. Refrigerate for four hours, or until they have completely set and serve.