The Best Chicken Tagine
Prep time: 20 minutes (plus marinating & soaking time)
Cooking time: 40 minutes
8-10 chicken thighs, skinned, boned & cut into bite-sized pieces
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground cinnamon
100g dried apricots, sliced
500ml chicken stock, hot
1tbsp olive oil
2 large onions, finely sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
Pinch of saffron, soaked in a splash of hot water
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1tbsp tomato puree
50g flaked almonds, toasted
Handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
Small handful of fresh mint, chopped
1 lemon, zest & juice
- Place all the spices in a large bowl, add the chicken and toss until the chicken is fully covered. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, or overnight.
- In another bowl, add the raisins, apricots and pour over 200ml of the hot stock. Allow to soak for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, add the chicken in 2 batches. Brown the chicken and remove with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper and set aside.
- In the remaining oil, fry the onions over a medium heat for 5 minutes until soft, stir through the garlic for the final minute. Now add the saffron with the water, tomatoes, tomato puree, honey, fruit with liquid and the remaining 300ml of chicken stock. Bring the pan to a simmer, cook for 10 minutes and season to taste.
- Now add the browned chicken and stir through. Cover partially and simmer for 20 minutes, stir occasionally until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a large bowl and cover with 250ml boiling water. Cover with cling film and leave for 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff up the couscous, mix in the mint, lemon juice & zest. Season to taste.
- Serve the chicken tagine on top of a generous serving of couscous, top with a scattering of flaked almond and coriander. Enjoy!