The Ultimate Chilli Con Carne with Steak & Chorizo
This truly is an amazing chilli and is a fantastic dish to serve friends or family for a casual get-together!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 45minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1.5kg casserole steak, cut into bites sizes
2 onions, peeled & finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, peeled & finely chopped
2 tbsp oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
2tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
4 red chillies, finely chopped
400g chorizo, sliced
600ml red wine
250ml beef stock
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
2 x 400g can of kidney beans
40g dark chocolate
Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Crusty Bread & Rice
1. In a large heavy based pan heat the oil on the hob over a medium heat and brown the meat in batches, remove and set aside.
2. In the same pan add the onion and garlic on a low heat and sauté for 3-4 minutes until softened. Now add the oregano, cumin, chilli powder, paprika, chillies and chorizo, cook for a further minute.
3. Now return the meat to the pan with the wine, stock, sugar and tomatoes, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring after one hour.
4. Now taste the chilli to see if it requires any further chilli powder.
5. Mix in the beans and simmer for a further hour adding more water if required.
6. Stir in the chocolate.
7. Serve with rice & crusty bread, garnish with coriander and sour cream. Enjoy!