Fish Pie with Leeks, Smoked Haddock, Salmon & King Prawns
The most delicious fish pie, full of flavour – this has to be comfort food at its best!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
1 medium onion, peeled & quartered
1 bay leaf
125ml double cream
125ml whole milk
200g salmon fillet
200g smoked haddock fillet
1 leek, trimmed and finely sliced
15g plain flour
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Small handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
180g peeled raw king prawns
400g potatoes, peeled & cut into chunks
40g butter, cubed
2 tbsp milk
1 egg yolk
50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
Peas or Green Beans
1. Place the onion in a pan along with the bay leaf, cream and milk and bring to the simmer. Now add the salmon and smoked haddock and poach for 4 minutes. Remove the fish from the pan and place on a plate, sieve the cooking liquor into a jug and set aside.
2. In a large frying pan melt the butter and add the leeks, cook for 4 minutes until softened. Add the flour and stir through for 1 minute. Now gradually add the cooking liquor and stir through, simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Season to taste and stir through the parsley.
3. Meanwhile for the topping, place the potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain and mash with a potato ricer or masher until smooth. Add the butter, milk and egg yolk, mix well and season to taste.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas mark 6.
5. Flake the salmon and haddock into the leek sauce and add the prawns. Carefully stir through until fully combined. Transfer to a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish and spoon over the mash and top with the grated cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Allow to stand for a few minutes and serve with green beans or peas. Enjoy!