Very Chocolatey, Chocolate Fudge Cake
This cake is a chocoholics dream! This cake has chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate to create this fantastically fudgey, rich & moist cake.
Makes 12 slices
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
For the cake
220g plain chocolate, chopped (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
200g butter, cubed (plus extra for greasing)
125g self raising flour
125g plain flour
25g cocoa powder
200g light muscovado sugar
200g golden cater sugar
3 free-range eggs
75ml crème fraiche
For the chocolate buttercream filling
50g plain chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
100g unsalted butter, softened
200g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Drizzle of milk to loosen
For the chocolate ganache topping
150ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp unsalted butter
150g plain chocolate, plus extra to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/335ºF/Gas Mark 3 and line two 20cm sandwich tins with baking parchment,
2. In a saucepan melt together the chocolate, butter and water on a low heat, stir occasionally until smooth and then set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl sift the flours and cocoa powder and mix in the muscovado and caster sugar. In a separate large bowl beat together the eggs and crème fraiche, then add the chocolate to the mixture. Now gently fold through the flour & sugar mixture until smooth.
4. Divide the cake mixture between the two cake tins and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is firm to the touch.
5. Remove the cake tins from the oven and set aside until they have cooled completely.
6. For the chocolate buttercream filling, melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. (Make sure that the bowl does not touch the water).
7. In a separate bowl beat the butter until soft and then gradually beat in the icing sugar. Now add the vanilla extract and fold in the melted chocolate until smooth (add a drizzle of milk if the mixture is too stiff).
8. For the chocolate ganache topping, heat the cream, vanilla extract, butter and chocolate in a large pan. Remove the pan from the heat and then whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick.
9. To assemble the cake, carefully remove the cakes from the tins. On the top of one of the cakes spread the buttercream and then top with the other cake.
10. Spoon the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and allow to drizzle over the edges or smooth over the whole cake with a palette knife. Garnish with chocolate of your choice, enjoy!!