Moules au Cidre (Mussels in Cider)
An absolutely gorgeous starter - steamed mussels and cider are a perfect flavour combination!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
1kg live mussels, scrubbed & de-bearded
500ml dry cider
6 shallots, finely chopped
6 tbsp double cream
Freshly ground pepper
Baguette, to serve
1. Discard any mussels with broken shells or any that refuse to close when tapped.
2. In a large pan pour the cider, add the shallots and season with pepper. Bring to the boil for 2 minutes.
3. Add the mussles to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook on a high heat for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until the shells have opened.
4. Remove the mussels from the pan with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
5. Strain the remaining liquid through a muslin-lined sieve into a saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until it has reduced by half. Stir in the cream and add the mussels and cook for 1 minute to reheat the shellfish.
6. Serve immediately with a fresh baguette, enjoy!