A hearty & warming dish! A simple and tasty recipe which is full of flavor – one of the best beef goulash’s I have ever tasted!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
2 tbsp vegetable oil
750g/1 lb 10oz lean braising beef, cut into chunks
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp smoked paprika
400g/14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 large red pepper, de-seeded and chopped
175g/6oz button mushrooms, halved
600ml/ 1 pint beef stock
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp water
Freshly ground salt & pepper
Fresh parsley, chopped
Long grain rice, cooked as per packet instructions or crusty bread
1. Heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and cook the beef for 3 minutes or until browned, set aside.
2. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onions and garlic on a low heat for 3-4 minutes, return the meat to the pan and add the paprika, stir well.
3. Now add the tomatoes, tomatoes puree, red pepper, mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring well. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and let simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours until the meat is tender.
4. Mix the cornflour and water together and add to the pan, stir until thickened. Cook for 1 minute and season to taste.
5. Serve the goulash with chopped parsley, sour cream and rice or crusty bread to mop up all the delicious juices.