Chicken & Chorizo Braised in Cider
A rich cider and chorizo sauce is a perfect match for this dish of succulent chicken thighs… even better you can make this dish in advance!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
1 tbsp olive oil
1kg/2.20 lbs chicken thighs
225g/8 oz chorizo, diced
2 medium onions, peeled & finely chopped
2 tbsp plain flour
500ml/17 fl oz dry cider
150 ml/ ¼ pint chicken stock
1 heaped tbsp Dijon mustard
Salt & freshly ground pepper
3 tbsp double cream
Seasonal vegetables to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Heat the oil in a large oven proof frying pan or wok, add the chicken and fry for 10-12 minutes frequently turning until evenly browned. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Add the chorizo and onions to the remaining oil and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle in the flour and stir until fully coated.
4. Gradually pour in the chicken stock and cider whilst continuously stirring. Bring to the boil until the sauce is slightly thickened. Now add the mustard and season to taste. Return the chicken to the pan and cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and stir in the double cream. Serve the chicken and sauce with your favourite seasonal vegetables.