Summery Chicken, Pea & Asparagus Risotto
A wonderfully light and summery risotto, delicious!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
For the Risotto
2 onions, sliced
400g/14oz risotto rice
200ml white wine
1 litre/1 ¾ pint of hot vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground pepper
200g/7oz fresh or frozen peas, blanched
200g/7oz asparagus, blanched
400g/14oz baby spinach
3 tbsp parmesan, grated
75ml double cream
For the Chicken
Olive oil, for frying
Salt & freshly ground pepper
4 chicken breasts
Chicken or vegetable stock, to cover
Parmesan, grated or in shavings
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
2. For the risotto, heat the butter in a pan and fry the onions until soft. Add the rice and stir until coated and appears transparent then add the wine and simmer until fully absorbed. Add a ladleful of hot stock and stir continuously, add more stock, stir continuously adding more stock until the rice is cooked. This can take a while, so pour yourself a large glass of wine!
3. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the peas, asparagus, spinach, cream and parmesan.
4. In the meantime, for the chicken, season the chicken breasts well. Heat oil in a frying pan and place the chicken breasts in the pan frying on both sides until lightly browned.
5. Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish and pour in the stock to cover half of the chicken. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, or until it is completely cooked.
6. Place the risotto into serving bowls. Slice the chicken and place on top, then sprinkle with parmesan. Serve & enjoy!