Leeks with 3 Mustards & Cheesy Sauce
A very delicious side dish which is ideal with fish or a Sunday Roast!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10-30 minutes
3lb (1kg 350g) small leeks, trimmed and washed and cut in half
Freshly ground salt and pepper
2oz (50g) butter
3oz (50g) plain flour
¾ pint (425ml) milk
6oz (175g) cheddar cheese, grated
1oz (25g) parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp (15g) wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp (15g) Dijon mustard
1 tsp (5g) English mustard
For the topping
2 tbsp fresh white or brown breadcurmbs
1oz (25g) grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6/180°C fan oven.
2. Place the leeks in a pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes until just tender. Drain and put under cold water immediately to stop the cooking process.
3. Place the butter in a saucepan and melt then add the flour and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the milk stirring continuously and bring up to the boil and whisk all the time. Once it is up to the boil, reduce the heat and let it just simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the grated cheddar and parmesan and then the mustards. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Put your leeks into a shallow serving dish and pour over the sauce.
6. Mix the breadcrumbs and the cheese together and scatter over the top of the leeks.
7. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
8. A perfect side dish!
v This can be prepared in advance and placed in the oven 20 minutes before serving.
v Try making this creamy, moreish side dish with blue cheese or substituting your favourite seasonal vegetable.