The BEST Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff
This is perfect for a dinner party as you can cook it a day in advance. This is a beautiful melt-in-the mouth dish!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 ½ - 3 hours
4 tbsp olive oil
500g (1lb 2oz) mushrooms, slices
1.5kg (3lb 5oz) stewing beef, cut into 3cm cubes
350ml (12 fl oz beef stock)
3 onions, peeled & sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
150ml (5fl oz) dry white wine
100ml (3 ½ fl oz) brandy
Pinch of paprika
Freshly ground salt & pepper
300ml (10 fl oz) double cream
3 tbsp butter, softened
3 tbsp plain flour
Basmati rice, follow packet instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300 F), Gas mark 3.
2. in a large ovenproof casserole heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and lightly fry the mushrooms in batches until slightly golden. Put on a plate and set aside. Next brown the meat in batches and set aside, add more oil if necessary.
3. Now fry the onions until softened and lightly golden, add the garlic towards the end adding more oil if necessary. Add half of the beef stock and bring to the boil to deglaze the pan. Return the meat and mushrooms to the pan and add the rest of the stock, wine and brandy. Add a good pinch of paprika and season to taste, stir well and simmer. Cover the pan and place in the oven and cook for 2 – 2 ½ hours until the meat is tender.
4. Make the beurre manié by mixing the butter and flour to create a paste. Set aside.
5. Remove the dish from the oven and strain the liquid into a pan. Keep the meat and mushrooms warm in a covered casserole. Pour the cream into the pan with the liquid and boil, uncovered for a few minutes until the sauce has slightly reduced and has a good flavour. Season to taste if required.
6. Place the beurre manié into the boiling liquid, 1 tbsp at a time and whisk until the sauce thickens slightly. Now pour the sauce over the meat and mushrooms and stir gently. Keep warm until ready to serve with the rice.
v This can be prepared a day in advance.