Southern Indian Chicken Curry
A simple but extremely delicious chicken curry!
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus at least 10 minutes marinating time)
Cooking time: 1 hour
10-12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 lemon, juice only
4 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2 pinches of dried curry leaves
1 large onion sliced
2cm piece of root ginger, peeled & grated
3 garlic cloves, crushed
440g tin of chopped tomatoes
400ml tin of coconut milk
1 ½ tbsp tamarind paste
1 large handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Basmati Rice, cooked as per instructions
Or Naan Bread
1. Place the chicken in a large freezer bag with the ground coriander, chilli powder, turmeric, pepper and lemon juice. Seal the bag and coat fully coat the chicken with the spices. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 10 minutes, longer if possible.
2. In a large frying pan or wok heat 2 tbsp of oil and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the sliced onion, stir and cover for 10-15 minutes.
3. Now add the ginger and garlic and cook for two minutes before adding the tomatoes and water. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in another large frying pan heat the remaining oil. When the oil is very hot add the marinated chicken, cook for 8-10 minutes or until golden all over. Now add the tomato sauce, coconut milk, tamarind and a good pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is tender.
5. Add the coriander and stir through, serve with rice or naan bread or both, enjoy!