Mince with Cheesy Horseradish Dumplings
The perfect winter warmer - this has to be comfort food at its best. A delicious meal for all the family!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
For the mince
2 tbsp olive oil
500g lean minced beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 celery sticks finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 cloves of garlic, peeled & finely chopped
5 sprigs fresh thyme leaves only
1 tbsp tomato puree
175ml red wine
400ml beef stock
A few splashes of Worcestershire sauce
100g frozen peas
1 tbsp cornflour
Salt & freshly ground pepper
For the dumplings
200g self-raising flour
100g vegetable or beef suet
½ tsp salt
100g mature cheddar cheese, grated (plus extra for topping)
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
1 tbsp hot horseradish (from a jar)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Steamed green vegetables
1. Heat a large casserole dish and then add a tablespoon of olive oil, add the mince in small batches until browned all over and set aside.
2. Now a tablespoon of olive oil to the frying pan and gently fry the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and thyme for 5 minutes until softened. Add the tomato puree fry for one minute and then add the mince.
3. Deglaze the frying pan which you cooked the mince in with red wine, cook for 3-4 minutes until it has reduced by half.
4. Add the stock to the pan and let simmer for 45 minutes. Place the cornflour in a small bowl and add 2 tbsp liquid from the pan and mix through. Add to the pan with a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce and the frozen peas.
5. In the meantime, make the dumplings. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, suet and salt using your fingertips to break up the suet. Now add the cheddar and the parsley.
6. Combine the horseradish and the water together then place in the bowl. Bring the mixture together with your hands until you have a dough consistency. Then, using your hands roll the dough into balls and set aside and cover.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
8. When the mince is ready, season to taste. Now drop the dumplings on top, sprinkle with cheese and cover with the lid and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
9. Now that the dumplings have puffed up, remove the lid and raise the temperature to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas Mark 4. Cook until the dumplings have developed a crust. Scatter with parsley and serve on warm plates with steamed green vegetable, enjoy!