The Best Millionaire’s Shortbread
Decadent, delicious and delectable; bring back memories of childhood with this favourite. Sweet heaven in a square!
Prep time: 2 hours (including chilling time)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the base:
175g plain flour
50g caster sugar
125g butter, at room temperature
For the topping:
400g tin of condensed milk
50g soft brown sugar
150g milk chocolate (or your favourite)
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas mark 5.
2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar and butter to form a dough. Press the dough into a 23cm square tin and bake for 20 minutes, set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile make the topping, place the condensed milk, butter and sugar into a large pan and bring to the boil. Bring the pan to a gentle boil for 5 minutes stirring continuously so that the mixture dies not stick.
4. Pour the topping over the shortbread and place in the fridge to set.
5. When the topping is set prepare the chocolate. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and pour over the topping.
6. Place in the fridge to set and cut into square, enjoy!