SPAM® and Pea Risotto
This is a really great store cupboard risotto requiring very simple ingredients. It is a very tasty and fresh risotto recipe for kids and adults, a great comfort food dish!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 x tin of SPAM®, chopped
2 x good knobs of butter
1 onion, peeled & finely chopped
300g risotto rice
175ml white wine
1 litre chicken stock
200g frozen peas
120g parmesan cheese, grated
Freshly ground salt & pepper
1. In a large frying pan heat 1 tbsp of oil and gently fry the chopped SPAM® until slightly golden, remove and set aside.
2. Now add a knob of butter and 1 tbsp of oil to the frying pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add the risotto rice and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring, then add the wine and allow to simmer until fully absorbed.
4. Now gradually add the stock, a ladleful at a time until the liquid has been fully absorbed before adding the next ladleful whilst continually stirring. Add the chopped SPAM® after 10 minutes. Once the rice is cooked through (after 20-25 minutes) you should have a soupy looking risotto. Sir in the peas and parmesan, season to taste.
5. Now add a knob of butter, cover and allow to stand for 2 minutes before serving. Enjoy!