Three Cheese, Caramelised Onion & Potato Pie
This stunning cheese pie is perfect for a mid-week meal and tastes absolutely scrumptious, pure comfort food at its best!
Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 medium onions, peeled, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
950g potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
140g crème fraîche
4 tbsp double cream
100g mature cheddar, grated
100g Stilton, crumbled
100g Gruyère, grated
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp grated nutmeg
500g pre-prepared puff pastry
1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze
1. In a large frying pan heat the butter and add the onions, salt and sugar, fry for 5-6 minutes until the onions begin to caramelize. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large pan of salted boiling water for 8 minutes, drain and then set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C Fan/Gas Mark 7.
4. Mix the crème fraîche, cream and cheddar in a small bowl. Mix together the Stilton and Gruyère in a separate bowl.
5. Layer one quarter of the potatoes, a third of the onions and a third of the Stilton/Gruyère mixture in the bottom of a large pie dish. Sprinkle with a little freshly ground black pepper and grated nutmeg.
6. Repeat, working from the outside of the pie dish into the middle to achieve a domed effect, seasoning as you go, then pour over half the cream/cheddar mixture. Repeat this step then cover the filling with the remaining potato, ensuring none of the cream mixture is visible.
7. Roll out the pastry so it is larger than the pie dish. Cut strips from the side of the pastry. Brush the rim of the pie dish with egg wash and place the strips around the rim of the pie dish and cover with egg wash. Cover the pie with the pastry, using a folk press the edges of the pie. Use any off-cuts of pastry to decorate the pie then brush the top with the remaining egg wash. Cut a small cross in the top of the pie to let the steam escape.
8. Place the pie in the oven and cook for 30 minutes then reduce the oven to 180°C/160°C/Gas 4 and bake the pie for another 30 minutes or until golden-brown, enjoy!