A most delicious and succulent aromatic chicken tikka starter served with fresh cooling coriander chutney with a kick!
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus marinade overnight)
Cooking time: 10 minutes
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
2 whole cloves
½ tsp black peppercorns
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
1½ tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground paprika
½ tsp hot chilli powder
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
20g root ginger, peeled & finely grated
4 tbsp natural yogurt
4 boneless & skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1. Place the cumin, coriander, cloves, peppercorns and fenugreek into a frying pan and dry fry for 1-2 minutes until toasted. Now place in a grinder or pestle & mortar and add the turmeric, paprika, chilli, cinnamon and salt, grind until you have a fine powder.
2. Place the ground spices into a large bowl, add the garlic, ginger and yogurt. Mix through until thoroughly combined. Now add the chicken and fully coat. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the refrigerator overnight or at least for 4 hours to marinate.
3. Take the chicken out of the fridge and thread them onto metal skewers leaving a 1cm gap between pieces.
4. Preheat a grill to the highest temperature and place under the grill as close to the heat as possible. Cook for 5 minutes and then turn the skewers over cooking for a further 5 minutes.
5. Use a fork to slide the chicken off the skewers and serve with fresh coriander & mint chutney and fresh salad.