Apple & Blackberry Crumble
A deliciously crunchy, oaty and buttery crumble sits on top of a juicy apple & blackberry base.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
120g plain flour
60g caster sugar
60g unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
35g porridge oats
300g braeburn apples
30g unsalted butter
30g Demerara sugar
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C Fan/Gas mark 5.
2. In a large bowl mix through the flour and sugar, now add the butter and rub together until you have a breadcrumb texture. Mix through the porridge oats and sprinkle evenly over a baking sheet. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly coloured.
3. For the compote, peel, core and cut the apples into 2cm cubes. In a pan melt together the butter and sugar over a medium heat, cook for 3 minutes until you have a light caramel. Stir in the apples and cook for 3 minutes, now add the cinnamon and blackberries and cook for a further 3 minutes.
4. Cover the pan and remove from the heat, set aside for 2-3 minutes.
5. Spoon the fruit compote into an ovenproof gratin dish and sprinkle with the crumble. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until golden and serve with vanilla ice-cream.