Cannelloni with Beef, Spinach & Ricotta
This has to be the best Cannelloni that I have ever tasted – absolutely delicious you have to give it a try!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
18-20 pasta sheets (approx 13cm x 10cm/5in x 4in)
5 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
500g/17oz minced beef
250g/17oz ricotta cheese
100g/3oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
Salt & freshly ground pepper
Small handful of fresh basil leaves
160ml/5 ½ fl oz double cream
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
Freshly shaved parmesan
Italian salad leaves (if preferred)
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
2. Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and gently fry the shallots and garlic until softened. Now add the mince and gently fry until browned, set aside to cool.
3. Place the spinach into a large bowl and cover with boiling water, drain and roughly chop, set aside.
4. In a large bowl add the ricotta, parmesan and the cooled mince and spinach. Mix thoroughly and season to taste.
4. In a large deep baking tray drizzle some of the passata so that you lightly cover the base.
4. Take a sheet of pasta and place two heaped tablespoons at one end and roll to form a tube and place in the baking tray. Repeat the process until the baking tray is full and all the pasta sheets have been used.
5. Pour over the remaining passata and scatter with the basil leaves, drizzle over the cream and season with salt and pepper.
6. Finally drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil and place in the oven for 20 minutes. Cover with foil for the first 10 minutes and then remove for the final 10 minutes.
7. To serve, divide between the serving plates and top with shavings of parmesan and pour yourself a glass of Italian red wine, enjoy!