Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs on Potato Pancakes
Turn simple scrambled eggs into a luxurious breakfast or brunch. A wonderful way to start the day!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the potato pancakes:
250g floury potatoes, peeled & boiled until tender, drained
25g butter, softened plus extra for frying
2 egg yolks
3 egg whites, whisked until stiff peaks have formed
2 tbsp plain flour
4 tbsp double cream
Salt & freshly ground pepper
For the scrambled eggs:
4 tbsp butter
6 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp milk
6 tbsp double cream
Salt & Freshly ground pepper
150g-200g smoked salmon slices
4 lemon wedges
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
1. For the potato pancakes, mash the potatoes with a potato ricer or masher until smooth, now add the butter and egg yolks, then fold in the flour until fully combined.
2. Gradually add the double cream until you have a smooth batter and season with salt & pepper. Now carefully fold through the egg whites until fully combined.
3. In a large frying pan heat a knob of butter, when the butter begins to foam add 4 spoonfuls of potato batter to the pan making sure you have space between each one. Fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Repeat this process until you have 12 pancakes.
4. For the scrambled eggs, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the eggs and milk, stir continuously until thick and scrambles and then stir in the cream. Remove from the heat and season to taste.
5. To serve, place three potato pancakes on the centre of four warmed serving plates. Spoon over the scrambled eggs and place the smoked salmon on top. Garnish with chopped chives and lemon wedges.