Roast Rib of Beef with Horseradish Breadcrumbs & Yorkshire Puddings
This is the ultimate Sunday roast, perfect for any occasion. Delicious!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the roast rib of beef:
1.5kg beef rib, on the bone
2 onions, peeled & quartered
2 carrots, peeled & quartered
2 celery sticks, quartered
A few sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cloves of garlic
100g horseradish cream
100g shallots, peeled & finely chopped
Large bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
For the Yorkshire puddings:
140g plain flour
4 eggs, beaten
Sunflower oil, for cooking
For the gravy:
300ml red wine
300ml beef stock
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/425°F/Gas mark 7.
2. Rub the beef all over with oil and season. Place in a large roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 160°C/140°C fan/320°F/Gas mark 3.
3. Add the onions, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaf and garlic to the tray and cook for a further 50 minutes (15 minutes per 450g).
4. In a bowl mix together the horseradish, breadcrumbs, shallots and parsley. Remove the beef from the oven 20 minutes before the end, spread the horseradish breadcrumbs over the beef and place back in the oven for the final 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile prepare the Yorkshire puddings, preheat the oven to 230°C/210°C fan/450°F/Gas mark 8.
6. Drizzle a little sunflower oil into each hole of a 12-hole Yorkshire pudding tin. Place in the oven until it is sizzling hot.
7. To make the batter place the flour in a bowl and mix through the eggs until fully combined. Now gradually whisk through the milk until there are no lumps. Season with salt and pepper and pour evenly into each hole. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and browned. Make sure not to open up the oven half way through.
5. When the meat is ready, set aside to rest whilst you make the gravy.
6. To make the gravy, add the wine and stock to the roasting tin. Bring to the boil then gently simmer for 10 minutes and sieve into a pan. Skim off any excess fat and reduce.
7. Serve the rib of beef with the Yorkshire puddings & gravy and seasonal vegetables of your choice.