Creamy Salmon & Leek Tart
A rich and creamy tart which is enhanced with fresh salmon and leek flavours!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
For the pastry:
120g plain flour, sifted
Pinch of sea salt
60g unsalted butter, chilled & cubed
1 tbsp cold water
A little egg white for brushing
For the filling:
2 leeks, trimmed & sliced
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp rosemary needles, finely chopped
Sea Salt & freshly ground pepper
2 salmon fillets (around 150g each), cubed
200ml crème fraiche
2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
Rocket leaves & finely chopped spring onions
1. To make the pastry, place the flour and salt into a large bowl and add the butter cubes. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers until it resembles crumbs. Now add 1 tbsp of water and knead until you have a ball of dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, grease a 18cm cake tin and preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line the prepared tin, leave the excess pastry overhanging the rim of the tin. Place greaseproof paper over the pastry and cover with a layer of baking beans. Blind bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the paper and the beans, prick the pastry with a folk and brush with a little egg white and bake in the over for a further 5 minutes.
4. For the filling, in a large frying pan heat the butter and oil and then add the rosemary and cook for about 30 seconds stirring occasionally. Now add the leeks and season with salt and pepper, stir for a few minutes and then cover for 15 minutes to sweat and become tender.
5. Meanwhile in a bowl whisk together the crème fraiche, eggs, egg yolks and season. Place a strainer on top of the bowl and when the leeks are cooked drain and let the buttery leek juices run into the creamy mixture.
6. Remove the pastry case from the oven and lay with the salmon chunks, place the leeks on top. Now pour over the creamy egg mixture and place in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the filling is golden brown and set. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool before serving.
7. Slice the tart and serve with a dressed salad, enjoy!