Mushroom, Spinach & Chutney Tart
A delicious tart which is full of flavour – a perfect starter for any occasion!
Preparation time: 30 minutes (plus resting time)
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
For the pastry
225g Plain flour, sieved
Pinch of salt
3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
For the chutney
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 red onions, peeled & finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled & finely sliced
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
For the filling
3 field mushrooms, sliced
5 cloves of garlic, crushed
½ lemon, juice only
Handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 large free-range egg
130 ml single cream
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 handfuls spinach leaves
handful of thyme, leaves picked
1 small round of goats cheese, sliced
Salt & freshly ground pepper
2 handfuls of fresh spinach
½ lemon, juice only
Extra virgin olive oil
1. To make the pastry, place the flour and salt into a large bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips. Stir in the thyme leaves, gradually add some cold water, very little at a time until the mixture comes together as a dough. Place into a ball, wrap with cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas mark 5. Grease four 10cm/12cm individual tart tins.
3. Roll out the pastry onto a floured surface and line the tart tins. Prick the bases with a fork and bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool, do not switch off the oven.
4. For the chutney, in a saucepan heat the oil on a low heat and add the onions, garlic and coriander seeds. Cook for 10 minutes and then add the vinegar and sugar and cook for a further 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat, set aside and season to taste.
5. To make the filling, lay the mushrooms in a baking tray. In a small bowl mix together the butter, 3 of the garlic cloves, lemon juice and parsley. Place over the mushrooms and place in the oven for 15 minutes, remove and allow to cool.
6. In a small bowl beat the egg and cream and season with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan heat the oil on a medium heat and add the spinach, thyme and remaining garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until wilted and drain in a sieve to remove all excess moisture.
7. Brush the pastry cases with a little of the cream and egg mixture. Add a little chutney to each, then add some spinach and mushrooms. Pour over the egg mixture and top with the goats cheese. Place in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. To serve, dress the spinach with a little lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil and divide between 4 plates and top with a warm tart, enjoy!