Toad in the Hole with Onion Gravy
A British classic perfect for a mid-week supper on a winters evening! Serve with mashed potato and roasted vegetables.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
8-10 good quality pork sausages
150g plain flour
½ tsp fine sea salt
2 large free-range eggs
For the onion gravy:
2 red onions, peeled & finely sliced
Freshly ground salt & pepper
1 ½ tbsp plain flour
300ml chicken stock
1 tsp English mustard
2 tbsp redcurrant jam
Few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas mark 6. Place the oil into a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish making sure the oil evenly covers the base. Add the sausage and cover in the oil. Put in the oven for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile prepare the batter, place the flour, salt, eggs and milk into a large bowl and whisk until the mixture is fully combined and there are no lumps.
3. Remove the sausages from the oven and pour the batter all over the baking dish. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the batter has risen and is golden brown.
4. Meanwhile make the onion gravy. In a large saucepan melt the butter and add the onion, season with salt and pepper. Over a medium heat cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are soft. Add the flor and stir through for a couple of minutes.
4. Stir through the stock a bit at a time and bring to a simmer. Now add the mustard, jam and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until the gravy has thickened and season to taste.
5. Remove the Toad in the Hole from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes. Serve with mashed potato and roasted vegetables.