Spiced Potted Beef
This is a great starter that can be made ahead as it will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Delicious served spread onto fresh, crusty bread or hot toast.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 ½ - 4 hours
2 garlic cloves, peeled
½ tsp sea salt flakes
1 tsp grated nutmeg
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
300g braising steak, cut into large chunks
Freshly ground pepper
For the topping:
4 sprinklings of peppercorns
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/Gas mark 2. Place the butter, garlic, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cayenne pepper into a small saucepan and season with pepper. On a low heat slowly melt the butter, stir occasionally.
2. Place the beef into an ovenproof dish and pour over the melted butter, covering the beef.
3. Place in the centre of the oven and cover with foil or a lid and cook for 3 ½ hours or until the beef falls apart. Halfway through the cooking time turn over the beef, cover again and return to the oven.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Place the beef and all the juices into a bowl, shred and mash until the mixture is as smooth as possible. Transfer to a small preserving jar or ramekins and spread evenly.
5. For the topping, melt the butter on a low heat. Remove the white foam that rises with a spoon and then pour the remaining clarified butter over the potted beef and sprinkle the peppercorns on top. Cover and chill. Serve with crusty bread or warm toast. Enjoy!