Roasted Pumpkin & Sage Soup
This is a delicious and comforting soup for an autumnal day. The addition of the white wine completes this dish perfectly!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 small/medium pumpkin
2 large carrots, chopped into 2-3cm pieces
2 large red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
4 garlic cloves, peeled
4 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground salt & pepper
2 tbsp dried sage
250ml dry white wine
1.5 litres of chicken or vegetable stock
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas mark 8.
2. Cut the pumpkin into 2-3cm wedges and remove the seeds. Place the wedges in a large roasting tray along with the carrots, onions and garlic.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, turn a few times.
4. Remove the vegetables from the oven, when the pumpkin is cool enough to handle scoop out the flesh and place in a large pan with the rest of the vegetables.
5. Place the roasting tin over a high heat, add the sage and wine. Bring the wine to the boil and scrape any roasted vegetables from the base of the tray. Add the stock and bring to the boil and then turn off the heat.
6. Blend the soup until smooth - you may have to do this in batches. Season to taste and it is ready to be reheated when needed. Serve with crusty bread.