Spinach and Goats Cheese Ravioli with Walnut Pesto and a Cream Sauce
This is a wonderfully delicious pasta dish which is perfect for any occasion. It takes quite a bit of time to make but it is well worth it!!
Serves 4 starters 2 mains
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the pasta
340g/12 oz 00 pasta flour
12 eggs, yolks only
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 good pinch of salt
For the filling
20g/ ¾ oz butter
200g/7 oz spinach
Salt & freshly ground pepper
350g/12 oz soft goats cheese
1 lemon, zest only
For the pesto
30g/1 oz walnuts
1 bunch of basil
1 garlic clove, peeled & chopped
30g/1 oz freshly grated parmesan
For the cream sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, peeled & finely chopped
500ml/16 fl oz double cream
1 lemon, juice only
1. For the pasta, pour the flour into a mound onto a flat surface and make a well in the centre. Add the egg yolks, olive oil, water & salt into the well and gradually mix with either a blunt knife or a folk. When the dough has become a thick paste use your hands to incorporate more of the flour.
2. You can sieve any remaining flour and use the sifted flour while you knead the dough to stop it sticking to the surface and to your hands, but be careful not to make the dough too dry. Knead until well blended and the dough is soft and flexible. Don't worry if you haven't used up all the flour.
3. Wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
4. Meanwhile, make the filling by melting the butter in a pan and wilt the spinach, season with salt and pepper and squeeze out any water. Place in a bowl with the goats cheese, lemon zest and season to taste.
5. For the pesto, toast the walnuts for 2-3 minutes in a dry frying pan. Place into a small food processor with the basil, garlic and parmesan, blitz until you have a paste then loosen with olive oil.
6. For the cream sauce, sauté the shallots in a pan with the oil until softened. Add the cream reducing slightly, add the lemon juice and season to taste.
7. With a pasta machine roll out the pasta to the thinnest setting. Place scoops of the filling onto one of the pasta sheets 5cm/2in apart. Brush around the filling with a little water and top with another sheet of pasta. With your fingers press around the filling to remove any air and then cut out the ravioli using a 5cm/2in fluted pastry cutter.
8. Cook the ravioli in a pan of salted boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain and serve on warmed plates with a drizzling of the pesto and cream sauce and a scattering of basil leaves for garnish, enjoy!