Spicy Meatballs in a Tomato, White Wine & Chilli Sauce
These meatballs are delicious and spicy, comfort food at its best!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
For the meatballs
450g/1 lb lean minced beef
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
Flour, for dredging
For the sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled & finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp chilli flakes
300ml/ ½ pint white wine
Spaghetti, linguini or tagliatelle, cooked as per packet instructions
Freshly grated parmesan
1. For the meatballs, place all the meatball ingredients into a bowl and mix together with your hands. Shapes the mixture into golfball-sized balls and then dredge with flour.
2. For the sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan and then fry the onions on a medium heat until they have softened but have not coloured.
3. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the volume of wine to nearly half.
4. Add the meatballs, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes turning occasionally. Make sure the meatballs are cooked through but not over cooked.
5. To serve, add the cooked pasta and stir through, place on to serving plates and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.