A wonderful twist to a classic carbonara – very quick and easy to make, a perfect mid-week meal.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
4 good quality sauages
1 tbsp olive oil
4 slices of pancetta, chopped
4 egg yolks
100ml/3 ½ fl oz double cream
100g/3 ½ oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
Zest of 1 lemon
Sprig of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Freshly ground pepper
1. For the sausage meatballs, with a sharp knife slit the sausage skins length ways and remove the sausagemeat. Roll the meat into small balls and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the sausage meatballs until golden brown. Add the pancetta and fry until golden.
3. Meanwhile cook the linguine in a large pan as per packet instructions.
4. Place the egg yolks, cream, half of the parmesan, lemon zest and parsley into a large bowl and mix through.
5. Drain the pasta and keep some of the pasta water aside and place back in the pasta pan. Add the egg mixture, sausage meatballs and pancetta, toss everything together. If the pasta becomes too sticky add some of the pasta water. Sprinkle over the parmesan and season to taste... serve immediately & enjoy!