Blue Cheese Macaroni
Comfort food at its best! A perfect mid-week meal for a chilly evening!
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
250g/8 ½ oz macaroni
20g/ ½ oz butter
1 bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
1 sprig of thyme
20g/ ½ oz plain flour
200ml/6 ½ fl oz white wine
125ml/4 fl oz double cream
150g/5 oz blue cheese (use your favourite)
Freshly ground salt & pepper
2 large handfuls of baby spinach leaves
Olive oil, for drizzling
1. Cook the macaroni as per packet instructions.
2. Whilst the pasta is cooking melt the butter in a pan and stir in the spring onions and thyme. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are tender then add the flour, stir continuously for one minute.
3. Slowly add the wine to the pan, stir continuously. Add the cream and bring to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes until thickened and remove the thyme.
4. Slice the cheese and add half to the sauce. Season to taste and heat until the cheese has melted.
5. Drain the macaroni and add to the sauce, stir the spinach into the pasta and then divide into individual dishes or a large dish to share.
6. Lay the remaining cheese over the pasta, season with pepper and a drizzling of olive oil and place under a very hot grill. Cook for about 5 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling, enjoy!