Meatballs with Chianti Sauce
An absolutely scrumptious pasta and meatball dish, perfect for any occasion. This dish is best served with your favourite pasta and of course a large glass of Chianti!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
For the meatballs
500g/17 ½ oz lean beef mince
1 onion, very finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
50g/1 ½ oz black olives, stoned and chopped
50g/1 ½ oz breadcrumbs
25g/1 oz parmesan cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 long chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
2-3 tbsp parsley, chopped
Freshly ground salt & pepper
For the sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
250ml/8 ½ fl oz Chianti red wine
2 x 400g/14 oz chopped tomatoes
2 tsp caster sugar
Bunch of basil, torn
Rigatoni, Penne or Spaghetti Pasta cooked as per packet instructions
Handful of basil, torn
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7.
2. To make the meatballs, place all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix with your hands. Divide the mixture into about 20 balls.
3. Place the meatballs into a large roasting tin and toss in the olive oil. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and then pour the Chianti over the meatballs making sure to turn the meatballs so that they are fully coated in the wine.
4. Place back in the oven for a further 10 minutes and the add the tomatoes, sugar and basil. Return to the oven for 25 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Season to taste.
5. Serve with pasta, parmesan, torn basil and of course a large glass of Chianti - Delicious!