A delicious alternative to traditional shortbread, chocolate... what more could you ask for...!
Serves 8-12 pieces
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
260g/9oz plain flour
100g/3 ½ oz caster sugar
40g/1 ½ oz cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
200g/7 oz unsalted butter, chilled and diced
Extra sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
2. Place the flour, sugar, cocoa and salt into a food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Add the butter and blend for about 30 seconds until the mixture is fine like sand.
3. Place the mixture into a 20.5cm loose based cake tin which is well greased. Press the mixture with the back of a spoon to create an even layer. Prick the dough with a fork all over and score into 8 or 12 sections with a knife.
4. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until firm.
5. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sugar, cut into sections along the scored edges. Leave to cool before removing from the tin.
* As the shortbread contains cocoa watch carefully so that it does not scorch.
* Undercooked shortbread does not taste good either so reduce the temperature if it starts to go too brown early.