The BEST Cheese Scones
These have to be the best cheese scones I have ever tasted. The perfect savoury scone - best eaten warm spread with lots of butter!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
225g/8 oz self raising flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp cayenne pepper
50g/2 oz butter, cut into cubes
100g/3 ½ oz mature cheddar cheese
150 ml/ ¼ pint milk
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Sieve the flour and other dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and then rub in the butter.
3. Stir in the cheese, then a milk and egg to get a soft dough.
4. Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/¾in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
5. Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.