Salmon with Mustard & Gruyere Herb Crust
This mustard & gruyere herb crust is absolutely delicious, the sautéed spinach and roasted balsamic vine tomatoes compliment the dish perfectly.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
For the crust
25g/1 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
15g/ ½ oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 slice white bread, crust removed
4 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
4 tbsp parsley, roughly chopped
50g/2 oz butter, softened
For the salmon
4 x 150g/5 ¼ oz salmon fillets
50ml/2fl oz fish stock
50ml/2fl oz white wine
50g/2 oz Dijon mustard
150g/6oz vine tomatoes
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp olive oil
4 handfuls of spinach leaves
Freshly ground salt & pepper
1. For the crust, put all the crust ingredients into a food processor and blitz until smooth. Spread the mixture onto a lined baking tray and place in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.
2. For the salmon, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
3. Pour the wine and fish stock into an oven proof dish and place the salmon fillets on top, season with salt and pepper and then brush with the mustard.
4. Remove the crust from the freezer and cut into rectangles and place on top of the salmon.
5. Place the tomatoes into a baking tray, pour over the vinegar, oil and season.
6. Cook both the salmon and the tomatoes in the oven for 10 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to rest.
8. Heat a frying pan and add the butter, when the butter starts to foam add the spinach and sauté for 1-2 minutes until wilted.
9. To serve, place the spinach in the centre of the plate and place the salmon on top with the tomatoes at the side drizzling over some of the excess balsamic sauce.
v If you don’t feel the herb crust is golden enough place under a grill.