Salmon & Blue Cheese Rigatoni
A delicious pasta dish which is quick and easy to make, the salmon and blue cheese make a wonderful combination.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
500g boneless, skinless salmon fillet
600ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
500g rigatoni pasta
250g soft blue cheese (eg. Dolcelatte)
Salt & freshly ground pepper
50g baby spinach leaves
15g basil leaves, torn
4 tbsp double cream
1. Poach the salmon in gently simmering vegetable stock for 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and set aside.
2. For the sauce heat the olive oil in a large pan or wok and add the onions and shallots, cook until soft. Add the tomatoes, garlic, sugar and thyme and simmer for 20 minutes. Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
3. Cook the pasta as per packet instructions, leaving some of the water to keep the pasta moist.
4. Add the cheese to the sauce and flake in the salmon – season to taste.
5. Add the pasta, spinach & basil to the sauce and gently fold together. Then stir in the cream, gently heat, season to taste. Serve immediately.
v If you don’t like salmon you can use chicken or a different oily fish.