Stifado (Greek Beef Stew)
This aromatic stew of beef and onions cooked in red wine is a popular Greek dish. Best served with roast potatoes or crusty bread!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours
2 onions, peeled & sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
568ml/1 pint beef stock
454g/1lb stewing steak, fat removed & cubed
1 level tbsp tomato puree
170ml/6 floz red wine
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 sprigs of thyme
1 sprig rosemary
1 bay leaf
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp cloves
1 cinnamon stick
454g/1lb shallots, peeled
Juice of ½ lemon
Freshly ground salt & pepper
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1. Place the onions, garlic and 284ml/ ½ pint of the stock in a large ovenproof casserole dish, cover and bring to the boil. Boil for 5-10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 20-30 minutes, until the onions are tender and golden.
2. Add the cubed beef and cook over a low heat, turning occasionally, until browned all over. Stir in the tomato puree, red wine, vinegar and herbs and the remaining stock.
3. Tie the cumin seeds, cloves and cinnamon stick in a piece of muslin and place in the dish. Cover and cook in a pre-heated oven at 170°C, 325°F, Gas mark 3 for 2 ½ hours.
4. Place the shallots in boiling water and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and add to the casserole 1 hour before the end of cooking.
5. Remove the herbs and spice bag from the casserole. Add the lemon juice and seasoning. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with roast potatoes or crusty bread.
v You can cook the stew a day in advance and store in the refrigerator.