Aromatic Beef Curry
Beautifully tender and packed full of flavour, you can’t go wrong with this curry!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 - 2 ½ hours
2 tbsp vegetable oil
400g beef stewing steak, cut into 3cm cubes
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp hot chilli powder
½ tsp ground ginger
3 cardamom pods
½ tsp ground cinnamon
300g fresh tomatoes, peeled & chopped
125ml double cream
1 tbsp vinegar
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
1. Heat a lidded frying pan or wok over a medium heat and add the oil. Fry the meat until browned, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry on a low heat until softened. Add the spices and fry for 1 minute without burning.
3. Return the beef to the pan then add the tomatoes and bring to the boil. Take the pan from the heat and add the cream, vinegar, salt and sugar.
4. Return the pan back to the heat and bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to simmer and cover. Cook for 1 ½ hours and then another ½ hour with the lid removed, or until the meat is tender.
5. Serve with basmati rice or Indian breads.
v If the curry is too hot for your taste add some more double cream towards the end of the cooking time.