Big Fat Bread Twists & Hummus
This is a delicious snack or dinner party canapés!
Hummus Serves 4
Makes 12 Bread Twists
450g/1lb Strong White Bread Flour, plus extra for dusting
1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
1 ½ tsp salt
250ml warm water
Vegetable or spray oil
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp freshly ground pepper
1 x 410g tin of chickpeas, rinse & drain
4 tbsp water
2 large cloves of garlic, peeled
3 tbsp tahini
3 tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
Fresh chopped Parsley
Pine nuts, toasted
Big Fat Bread Twists
1. Put the flour, yeast and water into a bowl and add enough warm water to make the mixture soft but not sticky. Knead the dough for 10 minutes on a floured surface. Or place in a mixer and blend for 5 minutes.
2. Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll into balls. Place the each ball onto a floured surface and roll into a sausage shape about 25cm x 2cm/10in x 1in.
3. Run a knife down the centre of the dough leaving one end uncut. Plait the two halves over each other to create a twisted effect. Place the bread sticks onto 2 flour dusted baking trays spacing them 4cm/1 ½ in apart. Cover the bread twists loosely with oiled cling film, make sure that this is airtight. Leave in a warm place for 30 minutes until they have doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas mark 6.
5. Remove the cling film and brush each twist with olive oil. Sprinkle half with salt and half with pepper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the bread twists are golden brown and firm to touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
1. Heat the chickpeas and four tablespoons of water in a saucepan.
2. When they are warmed through place the chickpeas and 2 tablespoons of water into a food processor, blend until roughly combined. Add the garlic, tahini and lemon juice and a couple of large pinches of salt and blend again. Add olive oil and blend again until the hummus reaches your desired texture.
3. Serve in a dish topped with a drizzle of olive oil, parsley, toasted pine nuts and a sprinkling of paprika. Enjoy!
v Vary the topping of the bread twists with fresh rosemary & thyme or sesame seeds & poppy seeds.
Big Fat Bread Twists