Stir Fried Beef with Egg Noodles
Prep and Cooking time 20-25 mins
500g lean beef steak, such as fillet
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 large red pepper
3 spring onions
1 red chilli
150g bean sprouts
300g medium egg noodles
Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
Toasted sesame oil
Salt and pepper
For the sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil for the noodles.
2. Trim and cut the beef fillet into thin strips, place into a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, a little sesame oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Crush in the garlic, add the grated ginger and mix well. Leave to marinade for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
3. Heat a wok or a large frying pan until hot then add a little groundnut oil, and a touch of sesame oil, swirling the wok to coat the surface evenly. Add the beef strips and stir-fry for a couple of minutes until nicely browned. Strain into a colander and catch the juices in a bowl underneath.
4. Slice the pepper, spring onions and red chilli and toss together in a large bowl. Add a little more groundnut oil and sesame oil to the pan and stir-fry the vegetables for 2-3 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and half the chopped coriander for the last 30 seconds. Remove the vegetables and transfer to the colander with the beef.
5. For the sauce, pour 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, the oyster sauce, rice vinegar and the reserved beef juices to the pan and allow to reduce to a syrupy glaze.
6. Blanch the noodles in the boiling water for about 3-4 minutes, until tender but still retaining a slight bite, then drain and immediately toss with a little sesame oil and the remaining coriander. Divide equally among serving bowls.
7. Return the beef and vegetables to the pan with the sauce to warm though. Spoon the beef, vegetables and sauce over the noodles and serve at once.
v Instead of beef you can use chicken or pork
v Instead of bean sprouts you can use mixed stir fry vegetables.