SPAM® and rice is always a really satisfying combination - with the addition of a bit of spice it becomes even better!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
1tbsp olive oil
340g tin of SPAM® Chopped Pork and Ham, chopped
1 large onion, peeled & roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled & finely chopped
2 red chillies, de-seeded & finely chopped
1 tsp jerk or Cajun seasoning
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 large red pepper, de-seeded & roughly chopped
300g easy cook basmati rice
800ml chicken stock
Salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Heat a large frying pan until hot, add the oil and the chopped SPAM® and let it sizzle and fry until golden brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add the butter then add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until softened but not browned.
3. Add the chilli and the spices and fry for 1-2 minutes or until the spices are fragrant. Now add the red pepper and fry until softened, 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the rice and stir well so that it is coated in all the spices, now add the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-15 minutes or until nearly all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is just cooked.
5. Add the SPAM®, cook for 4-5 minutes or until warmed through. Season to taste and stir carefully.
6. Serve on warmed plates - enjoy!