Chicken & Chorizo Pie
Prep time: 15 minutes (plus cooling time)
Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes
1 onion, peeled & finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled & finely chopped
250g chestnut mushrooms, halved
6 skinless & boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
200g chorizo, sliced and halved
50g plain flour
200ml chicken stock
150ml white wine
150ml double cream
Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
375g ready-rolled short crust pastry
375g ready rolled puff pastry
1 egg beaten
1. For the filling, melt the butter in a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and mushrooms – fry for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Season the chicken and add to the pan with the chorizo and cook everything for 5 minutes, turning occasionally.
3. Stir in the flour to the chicken mixture then gradually add the stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes until the sauce is smooth and thick then pour in the wine and cream. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes. Season generously and sprinkle with parsley. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan assisted 170°C/Gas mark 5.
5. Roll out the short crust pastry to 4mm thick and line a 1.2 litre pie dish, leave the excess pastry hanging over the edge. Spoon the cooled chicken mixture into the dish and brush the edge of the pastry with the beaten egg.
6. Roll out the puff pastry to 4mm thick and large enough to cover the pie. Place the pastry over the pie and press the edges firmly together to seal and trim neatly. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg. Decorate with trimmings and brush with more egg to glaze. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the pastry has puffed and is golden brown. Serve with seasonal vegetables. Enjoy!