Crab Tart with Leeks & Gruyere Cheese
This absolutely delicious tart can be served as a main or as a brilliant starter. This is perfect for entertaining and can be made in advance!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 5 minutes
1 x 375g pre-rolled short crust pastry
3 egg yolks
150ml double cream
2 tbsp olive oil
2 leeks, finely sliced
4 spring onions, finely sliced
½ tsp cayenne pepper
200g white crabmeat
100g brown crabmeat
80g gruyere cheese
Sea salt & Freshly ground pepper
1. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a large round, enough to line a 20cm round shallow tart tin, with removable base, leaving some excess pastry over hanging the rim.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4. Line the pastry with baking paper and baking beans and blind bake for 15-20 minutes until the sides are set and lightly golden. Remove the paper and the beans, brush the pastry with 1 beaten egg yolk. Place in the oven for a further 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven, whilst warm, cut off the excess pastry to level the rim of the tin, allow to cool.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg yolks and cream together.
4. In a large frying pan heat the olive oil and gently fry the leeks and spring onions until softened. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, set aside to cool.
5. Place the leek mix into the egg mix with the crab and cheese, mix well and pour into the cooled tart case. Place the tart onto a baking sheet and place into the oven for 45 minutes or until the filling is firm. Serve with salad, Panzanella Salad goes perfectly (click here for the recipe). Enjoy!