Blue Cheese and Caramelised Onion Tarts
This is a wonderful starter which can prepare in advance. Use your favourite creamy blue cheese to create this delicious dish.
Makes 4 Individual Tarts
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
500g/1lb 2 oz ready-made short-crust pastry
250g/9 oz soft blue cheese, rind removed
90g/ 3 ¼ oz mascarpone cheese
2 large eggs, yolks only
1 sprig of thyme, leaves removed
175g/6oz caramelised onion relish/chutney
Freshly ground salt & pepper
For the Dressing
90g/3 ¼ oz sundried tomatoes from a jar, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive from the jar of sundried tomatoes
2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small garlic clove, peeled & crushed
1 small shallot, peeled & finely chopped
1. Roll out the ready-made pastry and cut out 4 rounds 13cm/5in in diameter. Use to line 4 individual tartlets about 10cm/4inches or a Yorkshire pudding/muffin tin. Prick the base all over with a folk and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to let the pastry rest.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
3. For the best results blind bake the tartlets first. Line the pastry case with foil and add the baking beans. Place on a baking tray and place in the oven for 12-15 minutes, remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime mix the blue cheese and mascarpone cheese with the egg yolks and thyme and then season to taste (be careful with the salt).
5. Remove the tarts from the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Spoon 1 tbsp of caramelised onion into each tartlet and top with the cheese mixture. Place in the oven for 15 minutes until the filling is set.
6. In the meantime make the dressing, mix all the dressing ingredients together and season to taste.
7. To serve, place the tarts on serving plates with salad leaves and drizzle with the dressing around each tart, enjoy!